Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Great Summer

For the first time in years I can say I have had a great summer.  I taught summer school, went on long walks with my wife, read a ton of books, indulged in my gaming hobbies, and procrastinated.  

School starts on Tuesday with our PD days and I have effectively done nothing to get ready other than read.  I am almost finished with a book called Necessary Conditions (which I learned about through MTBOS) and Amanda Palmer's book the Art of Asking.  Both of these books are amazing! They both talk about safe spaces and genuine questioning, how to connect with your audience as a community you are a part of.  Amanda is making sense to the musicians in me and Geoff Krall is making the math teacher in me hug the world again.  

I don't have anything monumental to share. While I am looking at a couple of routines to introduce this year as well as continue to refine my notebooks, my most pressing question there is if I should still struggle with a first generation smartboard or try rocketbooks for notes.  The  focus will be on my one year trigonometry class since it is not under curriculum adoption.  That class as it stands is just pre-calculus class in reverse order, which would not be a problem if it were not the next class in the sequence.  Should I break away and just go super deep into trig and leave all the things the students will cover in pre-calc out or should I continue a more exposure based course?  Is this something the district or my department would wag a finger at?

For the blog, there will be schedule for posting I just need to see what nights I will be staying at school.  The next post will be Sunday, the plan is to have some pictures and things to show for these last few days of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment